Law is not black or white, it's grey


How to bond bail someone out in West Palm Beach, Florida


How do I bond someone out in Florida? Get bail and get out of a Florida jail?

Many times by local administrative order, there is a standard bond schedule. This means that you can bond out without going to first appearance and seeing a judge. Some charges are non-bondable (murder, armed drug trafficking, and burglary with battery, domestic battery). In that case, you have to see the judge within 24 hours. The court will read your charges and determine the amount of your bond. Generally, the Judge has the power to lower or raise your bond even if its already set.

You may hire a lawyer to get the bond reduced if you cannot afford to pay it. 

In very serious cases, your attorney may request what is referred to as an “Arthur Hearing.” An Arthur Hearing is often like a mini-trial whereby the state has the burden of proving that the proof is evident that the crime was committed by the defendant and the presumption of guilt is great. In other words, the state must demonstrate that there is an abundance of evidence and that there is a likely possibility that the defendant will be convicted.

What’s a bail bond?

A bail bond is a three-party contract between the Courts, the Bondsman, and the Indemnitor (also called a Cosigner or Guarantor). It is the Bondsman who guarantees to the Court that the accused – when released on bail – will be present for each and every court appearance in the future. In turn, the Indemnitor guarantees to the Bondsman that he/she will make sure that the Defendant goes to Court when required. For this “Bond Contract”, the Bondsman charges a percentage of the total bond, typically 10 percent and will ask for collateral - a house, car, boat - something of value so if the defendant skips town, the bondsman has something to show for it.

What are the different types of bonds?

Cash Bond: You pay the full amount of the bond in cash to the jail where you got booked into. The court can deduct any unpaid fees and/or costs from your cash bond if there is a conviction. You get the rest back at the end of the case so long as you show up to court as agreed.  If the case is dropped or you are found not guilty at trial, you get the entire amount back so long as you show up to court.

Surety Bond: It is a contract between the bondsman, the indemnitor (the person paying) and the Court. 

ROR: ROR (Release on Own Recognizance). You get ROR if you are not a flight risk and have a local address. If you are a first time offender and if its not a violent crime, you may get ROR.

House Arrest, ELMO and Pre-Trial Services: ELMO stands for Electronic Monitor, and is usually a condition of release in addition to a regular bail bond. The ELMO program is administered either by the local Pre-Trial Services Agency or the local law enforcement agency. This device is usually in the form of an ankle bracelet. It sets off an alarm if a person strays too far from its base located within the defendant’s home.

How long until I can get a loved one out of jail?

Unless you are a celebrity, it takes most people several hours (8 to 12 hours) to bond out, sometimes even 12-24 hours after the bond is posted. Rush Limbaugh was in and out of the Palm Beach county jail in about one hour.

How much is my bail going to be?

It depends on the charge, your prior record, your ties to the community and any prior failures to appear.

What is the law on getting a bond or bail in Florida?

Florida Rule of Criminal Procedure 3.131 (b)(3) states
: In determining whether to release a defendant on bail or other conditions, and what that bail or those conditions may be, the court may consider the nature and circumstances of the offense charged and the penalty provided by law; the weight of the evidence against the defendant; the defendant’s family ties, length of residence in the community, employment history, financial resources, need for substance abuse evaluation and/or treatment, and mental condition; the defendant’s past and present conduct, including any record of convictions, previous flight to avoid prosecution, or failure to appear at court proceedings; the nature and probability of danger that the defendant’s release poses to the community; the source of funds used to post bail; whether the defendant is already on release pending resolution of another criminal proceeding or is on probation, parole, or other release pending completion of sentence; and any other facts the court considers relevant.

How much does a bond or bail cost?

By Florida statute in state court, bondmen charge 10%

Federal Bonds cost 15%

Immigration Bonds range from 15%-20%, depending on the collateral used and the risk

The only other acceptable fee may be charged for transfer bonds, those posted by another bondsman out of their area or in another jurisdiction and federal bonds.

Do I have to pay the full amount of bail?

No. But you should if you are able because you will get that back at the end of the case, so long as the defendant shows up for court.  

What’s the bail bond fee and is it refundable?

The bail bond fee is the premium. It is 10% of the bond and its earned when the bond is posted. It’s non-refundable.

If you pay cash and show up for every court date, you get the money back at the end of the case, even if you are found guilty. However, if you owe fines/court costs, the court may deduct that amount from your cash bond.

What’s collateral and what can I use as collateral?

Collateral is something you use as security for your bond, your house, car, motorcycle, boat, anything of value. It guarantees that the you will show up for court. Some bondsman are more lenient with collateral than others.

When do I get the collateral back?

When the case is resolved and the bondsman gets a discharge certificate from the clerk. It takes at least 7-10 days after the case is closed.

How do I know when I have to show up in court?

Your criminal lawyer will tell you of any court dates. He may file a notice of appearance along with a waiver of your appearance. This keeps you working, going to school, etc. while your lawyer shows up for you. If you have a private lawyer or a public defender who does not file a written waiver of your appearance, you will probably have to go to every court date. It is a war of attrition. You will have to keep coming back. You may have to wait all day, miss work, hire someone to watch your kids. Also, the clerk’s office will notify you by mail. They also send notice to the bondsman or in some cases notify them by phone.

Why is there a separate bond for each charge?

Because bondsmen lobbied the state legislature and changed the law.

What if the bond is too high? Can I ask the judge to lower it?

Yes. Your lawyer can file a written motion to reduce bond and set it for a hearing before the judge.

Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure 3.131(d) states:
(1) When a judicial officer not possessing trial jurisdiction orders a defendant held to answer before a court having jurisdiction to try the defendant, and bail has been denied or sought to be modified, application by motion may be made to the court having jurisdiction to try the defendant or, in the absence of the judge of the trial court, to the circuit court. The motion shall be determined promptly. No judge or a court of equal or inferior jurisdiction may modify or set a condition of release, unless the judge:
(A) imposed the conditions of bail or set the amount of bond required;
(B) is the chief judge of the circuit in which the defendant is to be tried;
(C) has been assigned to preside over the criminal trial of the defendant; or
(D)is the first appearance judge and was authorized by the judge initially setting or denying bail to modify or set conditions of release.
(2)Applications by the defendant for modification of bail on any felony charge must be heard by a court in person at a hearing, with the defendant present and with at least 3 hours’ notice to the state attorney and county attorney, if bond forfeiture proceedings are handled by the county attorney. The state may apply for modification of bail by showing good cause and with at least 3 hours’ notice to the attorney for the defendant.
(3)If any trial court fixes bail and refuses its reduction before trial, the defendant may institute habeas corpus proceedings seeking reduction of bail. If application is made to the supreme court or district court of appeal, notice and a copy of such application shall be given to the attorney general and the state attorneys. Such proceedings shall be determined promptly.

I have a warrant out for my arrest, what is the bond for my case?

For a violation of probation, there is no bond generally. For other substantive charges, it depends on the charge. If it is a misdemeanor, it may be as low as $1000. For felonies, it will be higher, or it may be set at no bond.

The State wants to revoke bond, can they do that?

They can if you pick up a new charge while out on bond.

Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure 3.131 (f) states:
The court in its discretion for good cause, any time after a defendant who is at large on bail appears for trial, may commit the defendant to the custody of the proper official to abide by the judgment, sentence, and any further order of the court.




"Law is not black or white, it's Grey"

Board certified criminal trial lawyer Grey Tesh has filed countless motions to set bond or motions to reduce bond and handled first appearances for clients who need to bond out of jail in West Palm Beach, Florida and other cities around Florida.  He handles serious criminal cases all across Florida.



¿Cómo yo puedo sacar a alguien bajo fianza en Florida? Obtener la libertad bajo fianza y salir de una cárcel de Florida?

Muchas veces, por orden administrativa local hay una lista de fianzas estándar. Esto significa que tu puedes salir bajo una fianza, sin tener que ir a la primera aparición y ver a un juez. Algunos crimenes no tienen una fianza inicial (asesinato, tráfico de drogas armada y robo con asalto, violencia doméstica). En ese caso, tu tienes que ver al juez dentro de 24 horas. El tribunal leerá los cargos y determinará la cantidad de tu fianza. En general, el juez tiene el poder de disminuir o aumentar la fianza, aun si la fianza ya haya sido establecido.

Tu puedes contratar a un abogado para obtener que la fianza sea reducida, si tu no puedes pagarla.

En casos muy graves, tu abogado puede solicitar una audiencia, lo que se conoce como un “Arthur Hearing.”  Una audiencia “Arthur” es a menudo como un mini-juicio mediante el cual el Estado tiene la carga de probar que la prueba es evidente que el crimen fue cometido por el acusado y la presunción de culpabilidad es genial. En otras palabras, el Estado debe demostrar que hay una abundancia de pruebas y de que existe una posibilidad probable que el acusado será condenado.

Qué es una fianza?

Una fianza es un contrato tripartito entre los Tribunales, el fiador y el Indemnizador (también llamado un aval o garante). El fiador es el que garantiza a la Corte que el acusado - cuando en libertad bajo fianza - estará presente para todos y cada comparecencia ante el tribunal en el futuro. A su vez, el Indemnizador guarantiza al fiador que él / ella se asegurará de que el acusado va a la corte cuando sea necesario. Para este "Contrato de Bonos", el fiador cobra un porcentaje del total de la fianza, por lo general el 10 por ciento y le pedirá garantía - una casa, coche, barco - algo de valor por lo que si el acusado se va de la ciudad, el fiador tiene algo que mostrar por ella.

Cuáles son los diferentes tipos de fianzas?

Fianza en efectivo: Tu pagas la cantidad total de la fianza, en efectivo, a la cárcel donde la policia te llevo.  El tribunal puede deducir los honorarios y/o costos no pagados de tu fianza en efectivo, si hay una condena. Tu consigues el balance al final del caso, siempre y cuando tu te presentas a la corte según lo acordado. Si se tumban los cargos o si te encuentran no culpable en el juicio, te devuelven la totalidad de la fianza, siempre y cuando tu te presentas a la corte.

Fianza: Es un contrato entre el fiador, el indemnizado (la persona que paga) y la Corte.

ROR: ROR (Release on own recognizance) libertad bajo propio reconocimiento. Tu consigues ROR si tu no eres un riesgo de fuga y tienes una dirección local. Si tu eres un delincuente por primera vez y, si no es un crimen violento, tu puedes obtener ROR.

Arresto domiciliario, ELMO y programas de servicios previos al juicio.  ELMO es un Programa de Monitoreo Electrónico, y suele ser una condición adicional, a una fianza regular.  El programa ELMO es administrado ya sea por la Agencia local de servicios previos al juicio o la agencia policial local. Este aparato es por lo general en la forma de una pulsera de tobillo. Se pone en marcha una alarma si una persona se aleja demasiado de su base, que se encuentra dentro de la casa del acusado.

Cuánto tiempo hasta que yo pueda sacar a un ser querido de la cárcel?

A menos que tu seas una celebridad, a la mayoría de personas les toman varias horas (de 8 a 12 horas) para salir bajo fianza, a veces incluso de 12-24 horas después de que se registró la fianza.  Rush Limbaugh estaba dentro y fuera de la cárcel del condado de Palm Beach, en aproximadamente una hora.

Depende del crimen, tu registro criminal anterior, tus lazos con la comunidad y los fallos anteriores en presentarte en la corte.

¿Cuál es la ley sobre la obtención de un bono o fianza en la Florida?

Florida Regla de Procedimiento Penal 3.131 (b) (3) establece ?: Al determinar si se debe liberar a un acusado en libertad bajo fianza u otras condiciones, y lo que la libertad bajo fianza o esas condiciones pueden ser, el tribunal puede considerar la naturaleza y circunstancias del delito imputado y la pena prevista por la ley; el peso de la evidencia en contra del acusado; los lazos familiares del acusado, tiempo de residencia en la comunidad, historial de empleo, recursos financieros, la necesidad de evaluación y / o tratamiento de abuso de sustancias, y el estado mental; conducta pasada y presente del acusado, incluidos los registros de condenas, fuga anterior para evitar un juicio, o no comparecer en procedimientos judiciales; la naturaleza y la probabilidad de que el peligro de que la liberación del acusado representa para la comunidad; el origen de los fondos utilizados para pagar la fianza; si el acusado ya se encuentra en libertad en espera de la resolución de otro procedimiento penal o está en libertad condicional, libertad condicional, o de otro comunicado de espera de la conclusión de la sentencia; y cualesquiera otros hechos que el tribunal considere pertinente.

¿Cuánto cuesta una fianza o la libertad bajo fianza?

Por ley de la Florida en un tribunal estatal, fiadores cobran un 10%

Bonos Federales cuestan 15%

Fianzas de Inmigración van desde 15% -20%, dependiendo de la garantía utilizado y el riesgo.

La única otra tarifa aceptable puede ser cargado para los bonos de transferencia, fianzas hechas por otro fiador, fuera de su área o en otra jurisdicción y bonos federales.

¿Tengo que pagar el monto total de la fianza?

No. Pero si deberias, si tu eres capaz, porque tu conseguirás que te lo devuelvan  al final del caso, siempre que el acusado  se presenta para la corte.

¿Cuál es la cuota de fianza y es reembolsable?

La cuota de la fianza es la prima. Es el 10% del bono y es ganado cuando se publique la fianza. Eso no es reembolsable.

Si pagas en efectivo y si te presentas a cada cita en la corte, tu obtienes el dinero de vuelta en el final del caso, incluso si se te encuentran culpable. Sin embargo, si tú le debes costos de multas / judiciales, el tribunal puede deducir esa cantidad de tu fianza en efectivo.

¿Que es un colateral y qué puedo usar como colateral?

El colateral es algo que se utiliza para asegurar la fianza, tu casa, tu carro, moto, barco, cualquier cosa de valor. Esto garantiza que tu te vas a presentarse en la corte. Algunos fiadores son más indulgentes con el colateral, que otros.

¿Cuándo recibo el colateral de vuelta?

Cuando el caso se resuelva y el fiador consigue un certificado de descarga del secretario de la corte. Se necesitan al menos 7-10 días después de que el caso está cerrado.

¿Cómo puedo saber cuándo tengo que presentarme en la corte?

Tu abogado criminal te informará de cualquier fecha de la corte. El/ella puede presentar un aviso de comparecencia junto con una renuncia a tu apariencia. Esto te mantiene trabajando, yendo a la escuela, etc, mientras que tu abogado se presenta por ti. Si tu tienes un abogado privado o un defensor público que no presente una renuncia por escrito de su apariencia, es probable que tu tengas que ir a cada cita en la corte. Es una guerra de desgaste. Tu tendrás que seguir viniendo. Es posible que tengas que esperar todo el día y faltar al trabajo, contratar a alguien para cuidar a tus hijos. Además, la oficina de la corte te va a notificar por correo. También envían un aviso al fiador o en algunos casos, se notifican con ellos por teléfono.

¿Por qué hay una fianza para cada cargo?

Porque los fiadores presionaron la legislatura estatal y cambiaron la ley.

¿Qué pasa si la fianza es demasiado alta? ¿Puedo pedirle al juez que la baje?

Sí. Tu abogado puede presentar una moción por escrito para reducir la fianza y pedir una audiencia ante el juez.

Reglas de Procedimiento Criminal 3.131 (d) de la Florida establece lo siguiente: (1) Cuando un funcionario judicial que no poseen jurisdicción sobre juicio ordena a un demandado a responder ante un tribunal que tenga jurisdicción para juzgar al acusado, y se le ha negado la libertad bajo fianza o tratado de ser modificada, la aplicación por el movimiento puede ser hecho a la corte que tenga jurisdicción para juzgar al acusado o, en ausencia del juez del tribunal de primera instancia, a la corte de circuito. La moción se determinará con prontitud. Ningún juez o un tribunal de jurisdicción igual o inferior puede modificar o establecer una condición de la liberación, a menos que el juez: (A) impuso las condiciones de la libertad bajo fianza o establece la cantidad de fianza requerida; (B) es el principal juez del circuito en el que el acusado debe ser juzgado; (C) se le ha asignado para presidir el juicio penal del acusado; o (D) es el juez en la primera apariencia y fue autorizada por el juez de la configuración inicial o negar la libertad bajo fianza para modificar o establecer las condiciones de la liberación. (2) Las solicitudes por parte de la acusado  para la modificación de la fianza en cualquier cargo de delito grave deben ser oídas por un tribunal en persona en una audiencia, con el acusado presente y con un preaviso de al menos 3 horas al abogado fiscal del estado y del condado, si la pérdida de bonos los procedimientos son manejados por el fiscal del condado. El Estado puede solicitar la modificación de la fianza al mostrar una buena causa y con un preaviso de al menos 3 horas al abogado de la acusado . (3) Si cualquier tribunal fija la fianza y se niega su reducción antes del juicio, el acusado podrá interponer recurso de hábeas corpus en busca de la reducción de la fianza. Si la aplicación se hace a la corte de distrito o tribunal supremo de apelación, la notificación y una copia de dicha solicitud se le dará a la fiscal general y los fiscales estatales. Tales procedimientos se determinarán oportunamente.

Tengo una orden de arresto, cual es la fianza para mi caso?

Para una violación de probatoria, no hay una fianza por lo general. Para otros cargos sustantivos, eso depende del crimen. Si se trata de un delito menor, puede ser tan bajo como $1,000. Para delitos graves, será más alto, o se puede establecer sin fianza.

El Estado quiere revocar la fianza, ellos pueden hacer eso?

Ellos pueden si tu consigues un nuevo cargo criminal, mientras estas bajo fianza.