Law is not black or white, it's grey


Florida illegal re-entry after deportation lawyer

We (immigrants) took this country from the Native Americans (Indians), by force. Then, we (a country of immigrants) decided to keep others out of the United States by passing certain federal laws.

People still come to the United States hoping to create a better life for their families, for themselves. Often it is an act of love, not done with intent to commit a crime.

However, unless people come here “legally”, they are subject to deportation. The government calls them “aliens.” Once charged with a criminal offense like illegal re-entry after deportation, they may also be called “defendants” in a criminal case.

Once deported, they cannot come back. Otherwise they could be charged with illegal re-entry after deportation, a serious federal crime. This page discusses what the government has to prove for a illegal re-entry after deportation charge. It also discusses penalties (what kind of prison time is a defendant looking at) and defenses to illegal re-entry after deportation.

What does the United States government have to prove to convict someone of illegal re-entry after deportation?

-The defendant is an alien (not a US citizen).

-He was previously removed from the US.

-He entered, attempted to enter, or was found back in the United States without having received the consent of the U.S. government

The elements as they are called seem pretty simple to prove. At first glance that is the case. Keep reading though. Check out defenses at the bottom if you just can't wait.

What kind of prison time is a person who is convicted of illegal re-entry after deportation facing?

It depends on why the person was deported in the first place.

20 years

If the defendant was removed after an aggravated felony conviction, the max is 20 years.

What is an aggravated felony for purposes of an illegal re-entry after deportation case?

The short answer is an aggravated felony under federal law is just about anything. A federal criminal lawyer should always look at the law at the time of the removal proceeding when determining the prior aggravated felony to see if it is applicable. Some obvious ones are murder, rape, sexual abuse of a minor, gun charges and RICO violations.

However, aggravated felonies can include:

-Alien smuggling, except in the case of a first offense for which the alien has affirmatively shown that the alien committed the offense for the purpose of assisting, abetting, or aiding only the alien’s spouse, child, or parent (and no other individual) to violate the law.

-Passport fraud - falsely making, forging, counterfeiting, mutilating, or altering a passport or instrument for which the term of imprisonment is at least 12 months, except in the case of a first offense for which the alien has affirmatively shown that the alien committed the offense for the purpose of assisting, abetting, or aiding only the alien’s spouse, child, or parent (and no other individual) to violate the law.

-Drug traffickingone of the most common aggravated felonies for illegal re-entry after deportation. Note this is regardless of the amount of the drugs or how long the sentence was.

-Obstruction of justice, perjury or subornation of perjury, or bribery of a witness, for which the term of imprisonment is at least one year.

-Money laundering.

-Failure to appear for certain felonies (maximum 2 years in prison or more).

-Violent crime for which the term of imprisonment is at least one year.

-Theft crime or burglary for which the term of imprisonment is at least one year.

-Fraud crime for which the loss amount exceeded $10,000.

-Prostitution - owning, controlling, managing, or supervising of a prostitution business.

-Tax evasion where the revenue loss to the Government exceeds $10,000.

10 years

However, the maximum prison sentence for illegal re-entry after deportation is 10 years if the defendant had 3 or more misdemeanors involving drugs, crimes against the person, or both, or a felony, but not an aggravated felony.

2 years

If none of the above convictions apply, the max is 2 years for an illegal re-entry after deportation conviction.

Defenses to illegal re-entry after deportation charges

The truth is often times there is no defense to illegal re-entry charges. Many times the federal criminal lawyer defending an illegal re-entry case will argue for mitigation (a lower sentence) at sentencing. While the elements (what the government has to prove) seem pretty straightforward, the defenses that can be raised by your federal criminal lawyer are more complicated. They include:

Collaterally attacking the prior deportation proceedings

To collaterally attack the prior deportation proceeding, the alien must prove that:

(1) the alien exhausted any administrative remedies that may have been available to seek relief against the order;

(2) the deportation proceedings at which the order was issued improperly deprived the alien of the opportunity for judicial review; and

(3) the re-entry of the order was fundamentally unfair.

The defendant must prove each of the three prongs to win. If the defendant proves those prongs, the indictment must be dismissed.

Exhaustion of administrative remedies - there was no “considered and intelligent” waiver of rights at prior hearing

At first glance, it seems like an uphill battle to even prove exhaustion of administrative remedies. The vast majority of aliens do not do this. However, the exhaustion requirement cannot bar collateral review of a deportation proceeding when the waiver of right to an administrative appeal violated due process. The Due Process Clause of our Constitution requires that an alien’s waiver of his right to appeal a deportation order be “considered and intelligent.” If you were never told of your rights, you cannot make a “considered and intelligent” waiver of those rights. As a result, you are not required to exhaust your administrative remedies. An alien who is not advised of his rights cannot make a “considered and intelligent” waiver, and is thus not subject to the exhaustion of administrative remedies requirement of 8 U.S.C. § 1326(d).

Deprivation of opportunity for judicial review

An immigration judge must advise an alien regarding apparent avenues for relief from deportation. If the judge doesn't tell you about certain relief that may be available to you, how can you have the opportunity for further judicial review?

Fundamentally unfair - The alien must show a defect and prejudice

An underlying removal order is fundamentally unfair if:

(1) an alien’s due process rights were violated by defects in the underlying deportation proceeding and

(2) he suffered prejudice as a result of the defects.

Due process rights violated by defect in deportation proceeding

The immigration judge could have erroneously said you are not eligible for relief or you are not eligible for a waiver of deportation. The immigration judge has a duty to discuss even discretionary relief with the alien so long as the record as a whole raises a reasonable possibility of eligibility of such relief.


To prove the prejudice prong, the alien must show that he had a plausible ground for relief from deportation. Note the alien must not show that he in fact would have been granted relief.

Status of the alien

Where was the alien born? If in the US, that's a defense to illegal re-entry after deportation.

In some cases, the defendant had permission to be in the US at some point and lost his status. Maybe they had a tourist visa, a green card (also called a lawful permanent resident or LPR), or maybe they were granted asylum. In those cases, when, how and why the status was lost may be important.

Derivative citizenship

Some aliens may be US citizens and not even know it. How? At birth. Mom, dad or grandparents may have been US citizens. Where were they all born? If a defendant's grandparent is a citizen, the grandparents can pass citizenship to their kid (the defendant's parent) and then the defendant's parent can pass citizenship to the defendant.

Your federal criminal lawyer can file an N-600 form to get a certificate of citizenship. Also, he will need your birth certificate. This is needed to prove paternity. If the US citizen's name is on the birth certificate, good. However, if it is not, proof of paternity by a DNA test is needed. Also, it may help to get sibling's birth certificates to help establish paternity. Marriage certificates, social security records, military records of the defendant’s parents may help as well. The defendant's school records may help too.

Citizenship by military service

US Federal law provides that an alien can become a US citizen based on military service. This is so even if they were deported or were not legal permanent residents at the time of their service. Generally, you must be in the military for at least 3 years, be honorably discharged and have good moral character.

Mitigation at sentencing – how to get a lower sentence on an illegal re-entry case

Cultural assimilation – de facto American

Federal law allows the judge to depart based on cultural assimilation. This is the “de facto” American argument. The factors the judge will consider include if the defendant formed cultural ties in the US, has been living here since he was a kid, those cultural ties are the main reason the defendant came back to the US, and if the judge gives a lower sentence, it will not increase the risk to the public from further crimes by the defendant.

The judge should consider, among other things, how old the defendant was when he came here. If he came here just after being born or before starting school, that is a strong factor in the defendant’s favor. Also, how long the defendant went to school in the US, how long he was outside the US, his family ties in the US and abroad and his past convictions.

Prior convictions are old

The language used in federal court is “stale” when talking about old prior convictions. If the prior convictions are old and don't score criminal history points, that is a way to get a reduced sentence from the federal judge on an illegal re-entry after deportation case.


“Law is not black or white, it's Grey”


Illegal re-entry after deportation lawyer Grey Tesh handles federal criminal immigration cases. A Florida bar board certified criminal trial lawyer based out of West Palm Beach, Florida, Grey can handle illegal re-entry 8 U.S.C. Section 1326 cases and harboring an illegal alien cases nationwide.  


Reingreso ilegal despues de deportación

Nosotros (los inmigrantes) tomamos este país de los americanos nativos (indios), por la fuerza. Entonces, nosotros (un país de inmigrantes) decidimos mantener a otros fuera de los Estados Unidos, al aprobar ciertas leyes federales.

La gente todavía vienen a los Estados Unidos con la esperanza de crear una vida mejor para sus familias, para sí mismos. A menudo, es un acto de amor, no con intención de cometer un delito.

La gente todavía vienen a los Estados Unidos con la esperanza de crear una vida mejor para sus familias, para sí mismos. A menudo, es un acto de amor, no con intención de cometer un delito.

Una vez deportado, no pueden volver. De lo contrario, podrían ser acusados de reingreso ilegal después de la deportación, un delito federal grave. Esta página discute lo que el gobierno tiene que probar para un caso de reingreso ilegal después de deportación. También se analizan las sanciones (qué tipo de tiempo en la cárcel un acusado esta enfrentando) y defensas a reingreso ilegal después de ser deportados.

Qué es lo que el gobierno de los Estados Unidos tiene que probar para condenar a alguien de un cargo de reingreso ilegal después de la deportación?

-El Acusado es un extranjero (no es un ciudadano de los Estados Unidos).

-Él fue retirado previamente de los Estados Unidos.

-Él entró, intentó entrar, o fue encontrado de nuevo en los Estados Unidos sin haber recibido el consentimiento del gobierno de los Estados Unidos.

Los elementos como se les llama parecen bastante simple de probar. A primera vista, este es el caso. Sigue leyendo sin embargo. Echa un vistazo a las defensas en la parte inferior si tu no puedes esperar.

Qué tipo de tiempo en prisión se enfrenta una persona que es condenada por reingreso ilegal después de deportación?

Depende de por qué la persona fue deportada en el primer lugar.

20 años

Si el acusado fue retirado del pais después de una condena por delito mayor con agravantes, el máximo es de 20 años.

Qué es un delito grave, para el propósito de un cargo de reingreso ilegal después de deportación?

La respuesta corta es, un delito grave bajo la ley federal es casi cualquier cosa. Un abogado defensor federal siempre debe mirar a la ley en el momento del proceso de deportación, para determinar el delito agravado previo para ver si es aplicable. Algunas de las más obvias son el asesinato, la violación sexual, el abuso sexual de un menor, cargos de armas y violaciónes RICO.

Sin embargo, delitos graves pueden incluir:

- Contrabando de extranjeros, excepto en el caso de una primera ofensa por la que el extranjero ha demostrado afirmativamente que el extranjero haya cometido el delito con el fin de ayudar, instigar o ayudar sólo al cónyuge, hijo o padre del extranjero (y ninguna otra persona) para violar la ley.

- Fraude de Pasaporte - declarando falsamente, la forja, la falsificación, mutilación o alteración de un pasaporte o instrumento para el cual la pena de prisión es de al menos 12 meses, excepto en el caso de una primera ofensa por la que el extranjero ha demostrado afirmativamente que el extranjero haya cometido el delito con el fin de ayudar, instigar o ayudar sólo al cónyuge, hijo o padre del extranjero (y ninguna otra persona) para violar la ley.

-Tráfico de drogas - uno de los delitos con agravantes más comunes para el reingreso ilegal después de ser deportado. Ten en cuenta esto es independientemente de la cantidad de las drogas o el tiempo que la sentencia fue.

-Obstrucción de la justicia, perjurio o de soborno de perjurio, o soborno de un testigo, para el que la pena de prisión es de al menos un año.

-El lavado de dinero.

-Incumplimiento De comparecencia para ciertos delitos mayores (máximo 2 años de prisión o más).

-Crimen violento por la que la pena de prisión es de al menos un año.

-Crimen de hurto, o robo por el que la pena de prisión es de al menos un año.

-Crimen de fraude donde la cantidad de pérdida superó los $10,000.

-Prostitución - Poseer, controlar, administrar o supervisar de un negocio de la prostitución.

-Evasión de impuestos, donde la pérdida de ingresos para el Gobierno supera los $ 10.000.

10 años

Sin embargo, la pena máxima de prisión por reingreso ilegal después de la deportación es de 10 años, si el acusado tenía 3 o más delitos menores relacionados con las drogas, delitos contra la persona, o de ambos, o un delito mayor, pero no un delito agravado.

2 años

Si ninguna de las condenas anteriores se aplican, el máximo es de 2 años para un reingreso ilegal después de la condena la deportación.

La defensa contra el cargo de reingreso ilegal después de la deportación

La verdad es que muchas veces no hay defensa a los cargos de reingreso ilegal. Muchas veces el abogado federal defendiendo un caso de reingreso ilegal argumentará para la mitigación (una sentencia menor) en la audiencia de la sentencia. Mientras que los elementos (lo que el gobierno tiene que probar) parecen bastante sencillo, las defensas que pueden ser planteadas por tu abogado federal son más complicadas. Ellos incluyen:

Atacar colateralmente los procedimientos de deportación previas

Para atacar colateralmente el procedimiento de deportación previa, el extranjero debe demostrar que:

(1) el extranjero agotó los recursos administrativos que pudieron haber estado disponible para buscar alivio en contra de la orden;

(2) los procedimientos de deportación en que la orden fue emitida, indebidamente privó al extranjero de la posibilidad de una revisión judicial; y

(3) la reentrada de la orden fue fundamentalmente injusto.

El acusado debe probar cada una de las tres puntas para ganar. Si el acusado demuestra esas puntas, la acusación tiene que ser desestimado.

Agotamiento de los recursos administrativos - no había "considerado e inteligente" la renuncia a los derechos en la audiencia previa

A primera vista, parece una batalla para incluso probar el agotamiento de los recursos administrativos. La gran mayoría de los extranjeros no hacen esto. Sin embargo, el requisito de agotamiento no puede prohibir la revisión de un procedimiento de deportación, cuando la renuncia del derecho a un recurso administrativo violó el debido proceso. La cláusula del debido proceso de nuestra Constitución exige que la renuncia de un extranjero a su derecho a apelar una orden de deportación sea "considerado e inteligente." Si nunca se te dijo de tus derechos, tu no puedes hacer una "considerada e inteligente" renuncia de esos derechos. Como resultado, tu no estás obligado a agotar tus recursos administrativos. Un extranjero al que no se le informa de sus derechos, no puede hacer una renuncia " considerado e inteligente", y por lo tanto no está sujeta al requisito de agotamiento de los recursos administrativos de 8 USC § 1.326 (d).

La privación de la posibilidad de una revisión judicial

Un juez de inmigración debe aconsejar a un extranjero sobre presuntas vías para el alivio de la deportación. Si el juez no te dice acerca de cierto alivios que pueden estar disponibles para ti, cómo tu puedes tener la oportunidad para una nueva revisión judicial?

Fundamentalmente injusto - El extranjero debe mostrar un defecto y los prejuicios

Una orden de expulsión subyacente es fundamentalmente injusto si:

(1) los derechos de debido proceso de un extranjero fueron violados por defectos en el proceso de deportación subyacente y

(2) que sufrió un perjuicio como consecuencia de los defectos.

Los derechos de debido proceso violados por defecto en el proceso de deportación

El juez de inmigración pudo haber dicho erróneamente que tu no eres elegible para el alivio o tu no eres elegible para una renuncia a la deportación. El juez de inmigración tiene el deber de discutir el alivio incluso si es discrecional con el extranjero, siempre y cuando el registro en su conjunto plantea una posibilidad razonable de la elegibilidad de dicho alivio.


Para probar el punto de prejuicio, el extranjero debe demostrar que tenía un terreno plausible para el alivio de la deportación. Ten en cuenta que el extranjero no debe demostrar que, de hecho, se habría concedido el alivio.

Estatus del extranjero

Dónde nació el extranjero? Si en los Estados Unidos, esta es una defensa para el reingreso ilegal después de la deportación.

En algunos casos, el acusado tuvo permiso para estar en los Estados Unidos en algún momento y perdió su estatus. Tal vez tenían una visa de turista, una tarjeta verde (también llamado un residente permanente legal o LPR), o tal vez se les concedió asilo. En esos casos, cuando, cómo y por qué el estatus fue perdido, puede ser importante.

Ciudadanía derivada

Algunos extranjeros pueden ser ciudadanos de los Estados Unidos y ni siquiera lo saben. Cómo? Al momento de nacer. Mamá, papá o los abuelos pueden haber sido ciudadanos estadounidenses. En dónde nacieron? Si los abuelos de un acusado es un ciudadano, los abuelos pueden transmitir la nacionalidad a su niño (padre del acusado) y luego el padre del acusado puede transmitir la nacionalidad a la parte demandada.

Tu abogado federal puede presentar un formulario N-600 para obtener un certificado de ciudadanía. También, él necesitará tu certificado de nacimiento. Esto es necesario para probar la paternidad. Si el nombre del ciudadano estadounidense está en el certificado de nacimiento, bueno. Sin embargo, si no lo es, se necesita una prueba de paternidad por una prueba de ADN.  Además, puede ayudar al obtener los certificados de nacimiento de hermanos para ayudar a establecer la paternidad. Certificados de matrimonio, registros de seguro social, registros militares de los padres del acusado pueden ayudar también. Registros de la escuela de la parte demandada puede ayudar también.

Ciudadanía por el servicio militar

La ley federal de los Estado Unidos establece que un extranjero puede convertirse en un ciudadano estadounidense basado en el servicio militar. Esto es así incluso si fueron deportados o no eran residentes permanentes legales en el momento de su servicio. En general, tu debes estar en el ejército durante al menos 3 años, ser dado de baja honorablemente y tener buen carácter moral.

Mitigación en la sentencia - cómo conseguir una sentencia menor en un caso de reingreso ilegal

La asimilación cultural - de facto de América

La ley federal permite que el juez baje la sentencia, basado en la asimilación cultural. Este es el "de facto" el argumento estadounidense. Los factores que el juez considerará incluyen si el acusado formaba lazos culturales en los Estados Unidos,  ha estado viviendo aquí desde que era un niño, los lazos culturales son la razón principal por que la parte demandada regresó a los Estados Unidos, y si el juez da una sentencia menor , no va a aumentar el riesgo para el público de nuevos delitos por parte de la demandada.

El juez debe tener en cuenta, entre otras cosas, la edad del acusado cuando vino aquí. Si llegó aquí justo después de nacer o antes de comenzar la escuela, este es un fuerte factor a favor del acusado. Además, el tiempo que el acusado fue a la escuela en los Estados Unidos, cuánto tiempo estuvo fuera de los Estados Unidos, sus lazos familiares en los Estados Unidos y en el extranjero y sus últimas condenas. 

Condenas anteriores son viejos

El idioma empleado en el tribunal federal es "viejo" cuando se habla de viejas convicciones previas. Si las condenas anteriores son viejos y no anotan puntos de antecedentes penales, es una manera de obtener una sentencia reducida del juez federal en un caso de reingreso ilegal despues de deportación.